Wednesday, December 28, 2011

List from mid 1950s


A piece of ephemera from my collection that hasn't a thing to do with the list below. Just something I wanted to share.

This list ( and people seem to make them at this time of year ) is from the mid 1950s. It came into my life from my second cousin's family folder. It is a list accomplished by my paternal Great Aunt. A list of foodstuffs that she preserved to feed herself and the six children still living at home.

4 and 1/2 bushels of sweet potatoes
1 and 1/2 bushels of white potatoes
Lots of dry peas and lima beans
85 quarts peaches
15 quarts pickled peaches
69 quarts black berries
70 quarts green beans
80 quarts tomatoes
25 quarts vegetable soup
55 quarts apples to bake
18 quarts apples for pies
35 quarts beet pickles
48 quarts cucumber pickles
10 quarts mixed pickles
12 pints apple jelly
32 pints pear preserves
10 pints peach preserves
5 pints plum jelly
14 pints blackberry jelly
18 pints blackberry jam
175 pounds vegetables in the freezer at the Food Locker in town ( lima beans,3 kinds of peas, okra, cut corn and several pounds of goat meat)

I have not compiled my list of preserved foodstuffs for the year of 2011 yet. Am still cooking fruit jams from this year's crops. Numbers are in the journal and soon I shall share.

5 comments:

Peggy wilson said...

Honestly I don't know how you have enough hours in a day to accomplish everything!

Kelly said...

This is my Great Aunt's list, Peggy. I haven't compiled my 2011 canning list yet. I should sit down and accomplish this task this week and share. I did end the year with a session of cooking jam on Saturday.

Pattyskypants said...

THAT is a small fortune in canning jars & lids!!

Kelly said...

I thought the same thing !

Dandelion and Daisy said...

They reused mayo and other jars,....also, it was not common to use a pressure canner. They boiled that stuff for hours!