Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Belted Kingfisher

A few days ago, during my afternoon siesta on a raft in the middle of our pond, I awoke to a voice not heard in thirty years. I opened my eyes to see flying past me a bird I had not seen in thirty years. Was it, could it be, a Belted Kingfisher? I asked myself. Fully awake by now , I learned forward to watch its flight and landing on one of Rhett's steel and glass sculptures that sits in the pond. this sculpture is about seven feet tall and a perfect perch for birds that are looking for dinner in the waters below. The male Belted Kingfisher sat there for a bit. Chattered again. I realize that he was most likely letting me know that this was HIS territory and to back off. He then flew to an old dead oak tree alongside the pond and chattered a bit more at me. I was able to get a good look at him and memorize his markings and voice. I paddled ashore and headed straight to my computer to look him up and listen to his voice. Yup. It was a Belted Kingfisher. I felt most rich at seeing this bird on our place and knowing that he was appreciative of our new pond which shall provide many a dinner for him. It is time to stock the pond with fish. Will start with fat head minnows this fall and then add bluegill and channel catfish next fall. In the spring of 2010, we will add large mouth bass. Until then the frogs have full reign of the pond.

I spent many a summer day during my teenage years exploring round a lake near our home. That is when I spied a female Belted Kingfisher . I never saw her again and never forgot her.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ahhhh, kingfisher darshain! lucky lucky you. i love that.